Are You a Teen Interested in Learning About Local Government?
The Youth in Government Program was made for you! This free, interactive offering creates opportunities for high school-aged youth to:
- Be introduced to careers in public service
- Learn about the various functions and services performed by the City of Santa Clarita Departments, and the Los Angeles County Sheriff and Fire Departments
- Participate in demonstrations and hands-on activities (i.e. remove and input the graffiti incidents in the graffiti database, serve as a teen juror for juvenile criminal court, and create a TikTok Video)
- Tour various facilities and learn about opportunities to volunteer at events
- Build their leadership and public speaking skills to encourage them to express their thoughts, opinions, and concerns to invoke change
The 2023/2024 Youth in Government Program will launch in August and conclude in May, with in-person meetings held at various City facilities including the Sheriff and Fire Stations. City staff will remain in contact with participants during off months with volunteer opportunities and links to various City-provided resources as additional ways to help increase understanding and appreciation of local government.
For more information, contact Christian Canales, Program Specialist at (661) 250-3749 or send an email to email@example.com