Frequently Asked Questions

Enter your address in this tool to check whether your property is located within the City or the County. Or you can use the interactive Mapping Your City tool to check your jurisdiction and more.

In the mapping system, enter your property address or Assessor’s Parcel Number (APN). An information tab will open on the left side of your screen. Under ‘Zoning’, near the bottom, the system will indicate the official zoning of your property. If your parcel is zoned ‘SP’, it is part of a Specific Plan.

For an idea of what uses would be permitted on your property, take a look at Title 17, Chapters 17.42 Residential Use Types, 17.43 Commercial Use Types, 17.44 Industrial Use Types, 17.45 Public and Semi-Public Use Types, 17.46 Agricultural Use Types, and 17.47 Temporary Use Types of the Unified Development Code. It shows which uses are prohibited (X), are permitted by right (P), or require a particular permit, based on the zoning of your property.

Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) are known by many names: granny flats, in-law units, backyard cottages, secondary units and more. The Planning Division reviews all ADUs and JADUs before Building & Safety begins plan check.

The City has adopted an ADU ordinance with which all ADUs and JADUs are required to comply. The ordinance can be viewed here. Please contact a planner for more information.

For a general guide on how to open a small business in Santa Clarita, please view Economic Development’s Small Business brochure. More information can be found on the Economic Development website. Business licensing in the City is contracted through Los Angeles County

To open a home-based business in the City, you will need a Home Occupation Permit (HOP) from the Planning Division. You can contact a planner for more information on obtaining an HOP.

Most small projects can be approved over the counter for free. These projects typically include pools/spas, solar, patio covers, zoning referrals, tenant improvements, signs/banners, fences, landscaping, etc. Fill out an Over-The-Counter (Class I) Application, Grand Opening Banner or Banner Permit, and bring your application and plans to the Permit Center during regular business hours. At least one plan set should be 8.5”x 11” or 11”x 17”. Make sure to sign in when you arrive.

Fill out an Entitlement Application form and review the appropriate requirements listed on the Class II, III, IV, V, VI and VII Checklists. These checklists give insight into what documents are required to submit an application. When you are ready to formally submit (or if you have questions beforehand), come visit us at the Permit Center.

All projects are different and may require different permits. Please contact a planner to determine which permits you will need.

The Planning Division Fee Schedule is available here. Once you file your application, you will be provided an invoice for all fees due for your project. The cashier accepts cash, card and checks. There is no fee for Over-The-Counter permits. For an estimate of fees, please contact a planner.

All projects are different and have different processing times. The best way to determine how long your process may take is review the Class II, III, IV, V, VI and VII Checklists or contact a planner.

All of the Planning Division’s plans, codes, and guidelines are available on the Resources page.

Planning is responsible for zoning and reviewing architectural/landscape plans, as well as for issuing entitlements for the permits listed on the Over-The-Counter Application and Entitlement Application.

The best way to reach a planner is to call or come in to the Permit Center during business hours. All of the contact information can be found on the Contact Us page.