Questions for the accused offender:
- Why did you do it?
- Have you ever done this type of thing before?
- Will you ever do it again? If not, why not?
- Did you act alone? If not, whose idea was it?
- Looking back, what would you have done differently?
- Do you attend school regularly? How are your grades? What if any problems do you have in school?
- What have you learned from this experience?
- What punishment did you receive at home?
- Did you think it was enough, fair, reasonable?
- What punishment do you think you should receive today?
Questions for parents:
- Did you know your son/daughter had this problem?
- Did you punish him/her? If so, what was the punishment?
- Does your son/daughter have problems at school?
How are his/her grades?
- Do you know his/her friends?
If so, are there any he/she will be restricted from?
- Do you have problems with your son/daughter at home?
- How does you son/daughter respond to your instructions?
- Are there other children in the home? If so, have you had any problem with them?
For offenses related to theft/burglary:
- Did you intend to steal something when you went into the store?
- Did you have money to pay for the merchandise?
- Was the merchandise returned to the store undamaged?
- If property was stolen from a person was it returned or was restitution paid?
- Have you stolen before? If yes, how many times and what did you steal?
- How do you think you would feel if someone stole something from you?
- How do you feel about people that steal?
For offenses related to drug/alcohol use:
- Why did you use drugs/alcohol?
- How often do you use drugs/alcohol?
- Do your friends use drugs/alcohol?
- Do you intend to stop using drugs/alcohol?
- Do you buy drugs from your friends?
- How do you get money to buy drugs/alcohol?
- Have you ever taken money or sold items from your house to buy drugs/alcohol?
- Have you ever tried to stop using drugs/alcohol?
For offenses related to assault/battery:
- Who instigated the incident?
- Who threw the first punch?
- Is this the first time you have ever been in a fight? If not, tell us about the other time(s).
- How long has the problem between you and the other person been going on?
- How could you have resolved the conflict without fighting?
- How will you handle contact with this person in the future?
- Do you have a problem controlling your temper?
For offenses related to vandalism/malicious mischief:
- Did you know the victim/owners of the property?
- Did you do this as a result of conflict with the owner of the property?
- Had you planned to do this or was it a spur of the moment idea?
- Was restitution paid?