In 2018, then Governor Brown signed SB 946, known as the Safe Sidewalk Vending Act which limited the City’s ability to regulate sidewalk vending to those only directly related to objective health, safety or welfare concerns. Prior to this state legislation, sidewalk vending was prohibited in the City of Santa Clarita.

In 2019, the City’s Sidewalk Vending program was implemented to comply with the new state law, and requires Sidewalk Vendors to obtain a permit from the City of Santa Clarita in order to operate.

A sidewalk vendor is a person who sells food or merchandise from a pushcart, stand, display, pedal-driven cart, wagon, showcase, rack or other non-motorized conveyance, or from one’s person, upon a public sidewalk or other pedestrian path.

The following definitions apply to sidewalk vending:

Roaming Sidewalk Vendor- a sidewalk vendor who moves from place to place and stops only to complete a transaction.

Stationary Sidewalk Vendor- a sidewalk vendor who vends from a fixed location.

The kind of permits and licenses you need depend on what you are vending. Below is a list of the most common permits and licenses:

City of Santa Clarita Sidewalk Vending Permit

Los Angeles County Business License

Los Angeles County health permit – food vendors only

California Seller’s Permit

Food Handler’s Certificate

Sidewalk Vending can be conducted on sidewalks and pathways if your operations are compliant with all applicable local and county regulations.

Yes, your business license certificate, and County and City permits are required to be displayed at all times.

Sidewalk Vendor Permit Modification: $110
Sidewalk Vendor Permit Application/Renewal: $215

Vending in Parks is permitted, but stationary vendors may not vend in any City Parks subject to a signed, exclusive concessionaire’s agreement

Sidewalk Vendors may not vend within three hundred (300) feet of a permitted event. Permitted events include certified farmer’s markets, swap meets, and any event that requires the temporary use of, or encroachment on, the sidewalk or other public area, including, but not limited to, an encroachment permit, special event permit, film permit, or temporary use permits.

For vendor opportunities during special events contact the City’s Arts and Events Office at (661) 250-3732

No cart or accessory equipment of a sidewalk vendor may be chained or fastened to any pole, sign, tree, or other object in the public right-of-way or left unattended, unless as permitted by the City.

You can access the City’s Santa Clarita Municipal Code, Chapter 11.37 for more information or call the Community Preservation Division at (661) 286-4076.