The Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society is a volunteer organization founded in 1975 and dedicated to preserving the heritage of the Santa Clarita Valley. It is headquartered at Heritage Junction located inside William S. Hart Park.
To further its objective of education, the Society maintains a museum of local history, provides guest speakers for clubs and school groups, gives tours of Heritage Junction Historic Park and holds public meetings monthly with a speaker of general historic interest. The museum, located in the Saugus Train Station, is open from 1 – 4 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday. Exhibits include memorabilia from downtown Newhall’s heyday, the pioneer oil and mining industries, the railroad and the discovery of gold in Placerita Canyon. The fledgling movie industry is also celebrated with items from early cowboy and silent movie stars on display.
In addition to the Saugus Train Station and museum, Heritage Junction Historic Park includes eight other buildings in various stages of restoration that have been relocated in the park. Also currently under restoration is Mogul Steam Engine 1629 once owned by Gene Autry and formerly located at his Melody Ranch in Placerita Canyon. The Santa Clarita Valley Rose Society maintains a rose garden of over 300 roses of varieties popular between 1850 and 1950.
http://www.scvhs.org – (Historical Society)
http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/scvhse-0102.htm – (Online Archives)
Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society
24107 Newhall Ave., Newhall, CA 91321
(661) 254 – 1275
William S. Hart Park and Museum
Silent film star William S. Hart purchased a ranch house and surrounding property in Newhall in 1921. He built a 22-room mansion and filled it with Western art, Native American artifacts and early Hollywood memorabilia. Hart bequeathed the 265 acre estate to Los Angeles County for the enjoyment of the public at no charge. Tours and programs such as silent movie screenings take place at the mansion. Among the ranch’s permanent residents is an assortment of animals, including a small herd of bison, a gift from Walt Disney Studios in 1962. The ranch is open seven days a week. The museum is open for free guided tours Wednesday through Sunday.
24151 Newhall Ave., Newhall, CA 91321
for more information and tour times
(661) 254- 4584